Saturday 22 January 2011

Creed - Love in Black

Readers of my blog will probably have gathered by now that I am not a fully-paid-up member of the Creed fan club. Indeed, this is true, but I have to admit that there are a few I enjoy. I love Bois de Portugal for example, and for a long time now I have been trying a little of Love in Black, which, surprising for a violet-dominant scent, has won me over big time.

I should point out that I don't usually like violet as a perfume note. I can't really explain why, other than there is something slightly repulsive about the earthy, powdery, yet sweet accord I get in most cases. However, for some reason Love in Black has slowly seduced me and won me over. The notes according to Les Senteurs include violet, blackcurrant, cinnamon, clove, Florentine iris, Damask rose and ambergris, with musks. Now while iris is mentioned, I find that Love in Black is still mostly about violet, but a deliciously dark and earthy take on it, without that powderiness that I find so off putting. What I particularly like about this perfume is how perfectly unisex it is. I often find violet perfumes quite feminine, but Love in Black is a complex, sultry composition that manages to smell mysterious, but still immensely wearable. 

In a way I wish I could analyse this perfume in more detail, but I can't. Suffice to say that it has captivated me. I don't think Love in Black will be to everyone's taste, but if you are someone that usually steers clear of violet notes, I can definitely recommend this one to you, with a very different take on this note.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails