Friday 6 May 2011

Weekend roundup and Blu Mediterraneo

Life continues to be busy as the first week of May comes to a close. Yet, as I said the other day, despite the hectic work schedule and other distractions that I am currently encountering, I'm still wearing a lot of perfume, and a lot of new perfume at that (for me). If only I could somehow bring myself to write about it more than I am.

I plan to express some thoughts on these over the next few weeks, but over the last five days I've been wearing Six Scents Series 1 no 1 and no 5. Blimey, they are weird. Compellingly weird, and surprising. 

I also tried for the first time Acqua Di Parma's Blu Mediterraneo Mirto di Panerea and Cipresso di Toscana. Mirto opens with a very appealing aquatic note, which I never thought I'd see myself write, but actually, it smells of salt and sea and perhaps driftwood, before being joined by rose and jasmine. At this point it sweetens and becomes a bit too staidly floral for my liking. I don't particularly like rose and jasmine together. So often they combine, in my opinion, to become cloying and a bit too sweet. 

Cipresso di Toscana is more masculine. In fact, for the first hour it wears like a slightly toned down Polo for Men, not surprising considering the heavy use of Cypress. It is actually very nice and as the piney notes fade about midway through development it becomes a little sweeter, woodier and, simply, very nice. I was surprised at the relative tenacity and complexity of these two. I didn't take the Blu Mediterraneo line very seriously before. Perhaps that says more about my own prejudices, but for some reason the bright blue bottles and my association with the sea conjured up images of simple colognes that fade within the hour, all fresh and citrusy.

My recent forays to my local department stores have revealed that there are quite a few more new launches than there were a couple of months ago. Serge Lutens' Jeux de Peau has finally hit my store, while I've also encountered Houbigant's Fougere Royale. Fenwicks is stocking both the eau de parfum and the pure parfum. I was staggered at the price of the pure parfum. It comes in a special box and 50ml (or is it 75ml, I don't know) will set you back a cool £375 I was told by the sales assistant. For those of you who live in the States, that is about $560! It smells good, but jeez, I'm not convinced it is worth that much money.

Anyway, here's wishing all my blogger mates a great weekend and wherever you are, I hope you have an excellent, perfumed time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails