Thursday 16 June 2011

Sample Hell

I know I have touched on this topic a number of times before, but my sample collection is now so way out of hand that I don't know what to do. The obvious answer is to give stuff away, spray or dab samples more generously and perhaps have a ruthless cull.

All these options have crossed my mind, but I am a natural born hoarder and hate to throw away anything. Yesterday I brought home all the samples I had been hoarding at my office and I was flabbergasted by how much stuff I had accumulated there. I had a shopping bag of samples, rammed to bursting point. A lot of what I have is fairly generic, department store samples. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but for some reason over the years I have built up a reserve of seven samples of Opus IV, five of Memoir Man, five of Cartier Declaration, Jimmy Choo galore for God's sake and so and and so on. 

So dear reader, what am I to do? I think I might toss the excess samples and focus on core quality, however one defines that. I am open to suggestions. In the meantime, let me go order my next batch of samples!

13 comments:

  1. Why don't you pour all the little samples of one type into one spray decant thingamagig?

    (and yes I'm still at work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could take some of those samples to a womens' shelter. I bet there are women who would love something nice-smelling to lift their spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops...sorry, Michael, it just dawned on me that you are a man! And so, some or even most of your samples might be of the "for men" variety. Okay, then why not take them to a mens' shelter? Sheesh I should really get a clue before I comment, no? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frida, that's not a bad idea. Any idea where I can get some spray sample vials without having to order 500 of the little buggers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Queen Cupcake, that's a cool idea, irrespective of gender. I'm not quite sure how people would take that gesture here in the UK. Still, I might ask around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could have a random drawing for some on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael I get mine from ebay but the person who sells in from Seattle...http://stores.ebay.com/ACCESSORIES-FOR-FRAGRANCES

    She's great - all puts extra stuff in!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gees, I made TWO typos in that response...I must have had a long day! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I second Frida's recommendation for Acessories for Fragrance, they are fantastic. They have a great selection and reasonable prices, also excellent customer service. I don't think I could buy my decant supplies from anywhere else now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just thought of this too- you can put up a lot of samples on eBay. The Amouages alone could get you some decent scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Bloody Frida and Carry, I also like that supplier. You can check, it might be slightly cheaper to order from their store front, not through eBay: http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/accessoriesforfragrances/StoreFront (I'm not affiliated, just a satisfied user).

    You can do some swapping... Not sure though if it helps to reduce the number of samples... but you'll get something different.

    Undina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrie, thank you for the suggestions. I will consider them all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Undina I'll certainly check out the supplier. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails